- 4 cups of fresh uncooked shrimp – minced
- Carapelli Unfiltered Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil for frying
- 2 tbs butter
- 3 cloves of garlic – chopped
- ½ cup of red onion – chopped
- ½ cup grated zucchini
- 4 cups fresh shrimp – minced
- ½ cup of celery – about 2 stalks – chopped
- ¼ cup of Romano cheese – grated
- 4 – 5 fresh basil leaves – chopped
- ¼ cup of fresh Italian parsley – stems removed and chopped
- Zest of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of Italian bread crumbs – unseasoned
- 1 cup of seasoned Italian bread crumbs
STEP 1 Melt the butter with 2 tbs. of olive oil in a large cast iron frying pan.
STEP 2 Sauté the onion, garlic, celery, and zucchini until the tender.
STEP 3 Add the shrimp and sauté, for 1 to 2 minutes.
STEP 4 Place the mixture into a mixing bowl; add the parsley and basil, seasonings, grated cheese, lemon zest and 2 eggs; mix well. Blend in the bread crumbs.
STEP 5 Shape into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
STEP 6 Beat the remaining 2 eggs in a small, shallow bowl and place the seasoned bread crumbs in another shallow bowl.
STEP 7 Heat a few tbs. of olive oil in a large cast iron frying pan.
STEP 8 Dip and coat each shrimp ball in the egg mixture, then roll in the bread crumbs.
STEP 9 Fry in the skillet over a medium heat until a beautiful golden color appears on all sides.
STEP 10 Place in a dish prepared with paper towels.
STEP 11 Serve with extra grated cheese and lemon wedges.